Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
University of the Pacific
Research Summary: Our laboratory primarily utilizes biochemical and molecular biological approaches to understand basic cell signaling mechanisms that relate to our response to environmental pollutants, induction of drug metabolizing and glycolytic enzymes, cell cycle control, angiogenesis, and steroid hormone function. Our end goal is to develop therapeutic agents that are effective for treatment of diseases such as cancer. We are interested in (1) studying the protein-protein and protein-DNA interactions in the aryl hydrocarbon receptor signaling pathway; (2) studying the Arnt-dependent signaling cross-talks (involving the aryl hydrocarbon receptor, the hypoxia inducible factor-1 alpha and the estrogen receptor signaling mechanisms) and (3) designing and generating protein therapeutics for cancer treatment, in particularly the solid tumors such as the estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer.
Current Lab Members:
William Chan (PI)
Beverly Pappas (PhD student, since 9/2012)
Poonam Yakkundi (Industry PhD student, since 1/2012)
John Thompson (Master's student, since 8/2013)
Yujie Yang (PhD student, since 9/2014)
Jinyun Chen (PhD student, since 9/2014)
Sravanthi Tejomurthula (Master's student, International Master's program, since 8/2014)
Himaja Ponnakanti (Master's student, International Master's program, since 8/2014)
Lina Ren (visiting scientist, since 7/2014)
Jackie Chong (pharmacy student)
Katie Ngo (pharmacy student)
Michael Cheung (pharmacy student)
Genevieve Cheung (prepharmacy student)
Sarah Sung (pharmacy student)
Scott Leong (pharmacy student)
Cory Ng (pharmacy student)
Tiffany Chang (pharmacy student)
Joshua Lin (prepharmacy student)
Depeng Wang (Postdoc, 2008-2011)
Yanjie Li (Postdoc, 2008-2011)
Pompeya Bhattacharya (Postdoc, 2007-2011)
Annie Shinn (Postdoc, 2007-2008)
Jinghang (Alic) Xie (PhD, 2014)
Yu Wang (PhD, 2013)
Tianmin (Ivy) Zhang (MS, 2010)
Tony Luu (PhD, 2008)
Chandra Bunton (MS, 2008)
Yi Li (PhD, 2006)
Xiaodong Wang (PhD, 2006)
Kyle Jensen (PhD, 2006)
Premnath Shetty (PhD, 2002)
Anthony B. Delucchi (MS, 2001)
Bhagyashree Bhagwat (MS, 2001)
Maria E. Cordeiro (MS, 1997)
Minh Phuong Nguyen (visiting scientist, 2008-2010)
Jingjun Jin (visiting scholar, 2008)
Pharmacy and Undergraduate Research:
Alex Oon (prepharmacy student) - one semester
Krystal Tai (Pharm.D., 2015) - five semesters
Quoc Sinh Le (Pharm.D., 2015) - five semesters
Kyung Kim (Pharm.D., 2015) - three semesters
Hee Jae (Janet) Chung (Pharm.D., 2016) - two semesters
Joshua Tai (Pharm.D., 2016) - one semester
Stephanie Dias (BS, Biol Sci, 2014) - one semester
Stephanie Lee (Pharm.D., 2015) – one semester
Dimi Rynsburger (Pharm.D., 2014) – three semesters
Allison Li (Pharm.D., 2014) – two semesters
John Thompson (undergrad, Biochem BS, Spring 2013) – four semesters
Alex Kang (Pharm.D., 2013) – two semesters
Mark Smaili (Pharm.D., 2013) – two semesters
Hong (Emiley) Phan (Pharm.D., 2012) – three semesters
Abraham Chang (Pharm.D., 2012) – five semesters
Paula Erezo (Pharm.D., 2011) – one semester
Timothy Chow (Pharm.D., 2011) – two semesters
Priti Patel (Pharm.D., 2009) – one semester
Betty Huang (undergrad, 2008) – one semester
Steve Andreessen (undergrad, 2008) – one semester
Jason Zarifis (Pharm.D., 2007) – one semester
Barry Peterson (Pharm.D., 2004) – two semesters
Paula Phongsamran (Pharm.D., 2001) – one semester
Steven Nguyen (Pharm.D., 2001) – three semesters
Emily Ha (Ph.D. candidate, 2001) – one semester
Yvonne Chen (Pharm.D., 2000) – one semester
Loc Nguyen (BS, Biology, 2000) – four semesters
Calvin Tong (Pharm.D., 1999) – one semester
Gianni Abate (BS, Biology, 1998) – one semester
Xuan Nguyen (BS, Biology, 1998) – one semester
Anthony Delucchi (BS, Biology, 1998) – two semesters
Publications at Pacific:
1. Gao, X., Bhattacharya, S., Chan, W. K., Jasti, B. R., Upadrashta, B. and Li, X. (2014) Expression of p-glycoprotein and CYP3A4 along the porcine oral-gastrointestinal tract: implications on oral mucosal drug delivery, Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 40, 599-603.
2. Xie, J., Huang, X., Park, M. S., Pham, H. M. and Chan, W. K. (2014) Differential suppression of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear translocator-dependent function by an aryl hydrocarbon receptor PAS-A-derived inhibitory molecule, Biochem. Pharmacol. 88, 253-65.
3. Penchala, S. C., Connelly, S., Wang, Y., Park, M. S., Zhao, L., Baranczak, A., Rappley, I., Vogel, H., Liedtke, M., Witteles, R. M., Powers, E. T., Reixach, N., Chan, W. K., Wilson, I. A., Kelly, J. W., Graef, I. A. and Alhamadsheh, M. M. (2013) AG10 inhibits amyloidogenesis and cellular toxicity of the familial amyloid cardiomyopathy associated V122I transthyretin, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 110, 9992-7.
5. Nguyen, P. M., Wang, D., Wang, Y., Li, Y., Uchizono, J. A. and Chan, W. K. (2012) p23 co-chaperone protects the aryl hydrocarbon receptor from degradation in mouse and human cell lines, Biochem. Pharmacol. 84, 838-50.
6.Wang, Y., Li, Y., Wang, D., Li, Y., Chang, A., and Chan, W. K. (2012) Suppression of the hypoxia inducible factor-1 function by redistributing the aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear translocator from nucleus to cytoplasm, Cancer Lett. 320,111-21.
7. Wang, Y., Yang, D., Chang, A., Zhao, B., Denison, M., Chan, W. K. and Xue, L. (2012) Synthesis of a ligand-quencher conjugate for the ligand binding study of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor using a FRET assay, Med. Chem. Res. 21, 711-21.
8. Park, M. S., Chu, F., Xie, J., Wang, Y., Bhattacharya, P. and Chan, W. K. (2011) Identification of cyclophilin-40 interacting proteins reveals potential cellular function of cyclophilin-40, Anal. Biochem. 410, 257-65.
9. Li, Y., Li, Y., Zhang, T. and Chan, W. K. (2010) The aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear translocator-interacting protein 2 suppresses the estrogen receptor signaling via an Arnt-dependent mechanism, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 502, 121-9.
10. Nguyen, P. M., Park, M. S., Chow, M., Chang, J. H., Wrischnik, L. and Chan, W. K. (2010) Benzo[a]pyrene increases the Nrf2 content by downregulating the Keap1 message, Toxicol. Sci. 116, 549-61.
11. Zhang, T., Wang, X., Shinn, A., Jin, J. and Chan, W. K. (2010) Beta tubulin affects the aryl hydrocarbon receptor function via an Arnt-mediated mechanism, Biochem. Pharmacol. 79, 1125-33.
12. Zhong, S., Bhattacharya, S., Chan, W., Jasti, B. and Li, X. (2009) Leucine-aspartic acid-valine sequences as targeting ligand and drug carrier for doxorubicin delivery to melanoma cells: binding specificity and in vitro cytotoxicity study, Pharm. Res. 26, 2578-87.
13. Wang, D., Faridi, J. S., Li, Y. and Chan, W. K. (2009) A truncated human Ah receptor suppresses growth of human cervical tumor xenografts by interfering with hypoxia signaling, FEBS Lett. 583, 3039-44.
14. Bhattacharya, S., Chan, W. K., Franz, A., Li, X. and Jasti, B. R. (2009) Tumor-targeted drug delivery by folate conjugated amphiphiles, Curr. Trends Biotech. Pharm. 3, 297-310.
15. Luu, T. C., Bhattacharya, P. and Chan, W. K. (2008) Cyclophilin-40 has a cellular role in the aryl hydrocarbon receptor signaling, FEBS Lett. 582, 3167-73.
16. Jensen, J. A. and Chan, W. K. (2006) A truncated Ah receptor blocks the hypoxia and estrogen receptor signaling pathways: a viable approach for breast cancer treatment, Mol. Pharm. 3, 695-703.
17. Li, Y., Luu, T. C. and Chan, W. K. (2005) A novel Arnt-interacting protein Ainp2 enhances the aryl hydrocarbon receptor signaling, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 441, 84-95.
18. Shetty, P. V., Wang, X. and Chan, W. K. (2004) Cyclosporin A-binding immunophilin 40 (CyP40), but not Hsp70, causes the formation of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor-DNA complex, Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 429, 42-9.
19. Shetty, P. V., Bhagwat, B. Y. and Chan, W. K. (2003) p23 enhances the formation of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor-DNA complex, Biochem. Pharmacol. 65, 941-8.
20. Delucchi, A. B., Jensen, K. A. and Chan, W. K. (2003) Synthesis of 32P-labelled protein probes using a modified thioredoxin fusion protein expression system in Escherichia coli, Biomol. Enginr. 20, 1-5.
21. Chan, W. K. and Delucchi, A. B. (2000) Resveratrol, a red wine constituent, is a mechanism-based inactivator of cytochrome P450 3A4, Life Sci. 67, 3103-12.
22. Lee, A. J., Chan, W. K., Harralson, A. F., Buffum, J. and Bui, B.-C. C. (1999) The effects of grapefruit juice on sertraline metabolism: an in vitro and in vivo study, Clin. Therapeutics 21, 1890-9.
23. Chan, W. K., Gu, Y.-Z. and Bradfield, C. A. (1999) Cross-talk between the aryl hydrocarbon receptor and hypoxia inducible factor signaling pathways. Demonstration of competition and compensation, J. Biol. Chem. 274, 12115-23.
24. Wong, K. M, Chan, W. K., Chan, Y. H. and Li, C. S. (1999) A case report on cefepime toxicity in a renally compromised patient, Nephrol Dial Transplant 14, 2265-6.
25. (Review Article) Li, X and Chan, W. K. (1999) Transport, metabolism and elimination mechanisms of anti-HIV agents, Adv. Drug Delivery Rev. 39, 81-103.
26. Chan, W. K., Nguyen, L., Miller, V. P. and Harris, R. Z. (1998) Mechanism-based inactivation of CYP3A4 by grapefruit juice and red wine. Life Sci. 62, PL135-42.
27. Luo, G., Gu, Y.-Z., Jain, S., Chan, W. K., Carr, K. M., Hogenesch, J. B. and Bradfield, C. A. (1997) Molecular characterization of the murine hif-1 alpha locus, Gene Expression 6, 287-99.
28. Hogenesch, J. B., Chan, W. K., Jackiv, V. H., Brown, R. C., Gu, Y.-Z., Pray-Grant, M., Perdew, G. H. and Bradfield, C. A. (1997) Characterization of a subset of the basic-helix-loop-helix-PAS superfamily that interact with components of the dioxin signaling pathway, J. Biol. Chem. 272, 8581-93.
29. Stauffer, C., Shiotsuki, T., Chan, W. K. and Hammock, B. D. (1997) Characterization of the esterase isozymes of Ips typographus, Arch. Insect Biochem. Phys. 34, 203-21.
National Institutes of Health
University of the Pacific internal funds